We assist our clients in all aspects of estate administration. We appreciate that following the death of a friend or family member, many questions arise and decisions have to be made. We are able to provide you with the legal help you need at a very difficult time.
We have much experience in preparing probate documents to apply for a Certificate of Appointment. We have dealt with very straightforward applications as well more difficult situations such as those where a Will is found invalid due to improper execution, the original Will cannot be located, the Will is not in English, etc. We have a range of experience amongst our lawyers and a dedicated estate administration law clerk which allows us to handle a variety of straightforward and complex administrations in a cost effective manner.
We work with many international clients such that we have experience in handling probate applications initiated in another country.
In addition to the probate process, we are available to assist our clients with all aspects of the administration of an estate, including the following:
- Preparing the Estate Information Return.
- Assisting in advertising for creditors.
- Advising on the interpretation of the Will and any codicils.
- Guiding executors with realizing the estate’s assets and distributing the assets.
- Assisting with the implementation of post-mortem tax planning.
- Preparing informal or formal passing of estate trustee accounts.
- Helping manage beneficiary expectations.
We also help administer both inter vivos trusts and testamentary trusts for our domestic and international clients. This can involve:
- Helping interpret the terms of a trust deed.
- Assisting with distributions to beneficiaries.
- Preparing documentation to carry out trustee activities.
- Assisting with court applications, including those relating to the replacement of trustees, rectification of the terms of a trust deed (including for income tax reasons) and passing of trustee’s accounts.
- Advising trustees in all aspects of trust administration.